#BreakingNews - our campaign received endorsement from the East Bay Times!
Here's the headline:
Editorial: For Mt. Diablo school board, reelect Khaund and Mason
During trying pandemic times, they have made tough decisions to protect teacher health and district finances
I appreciate that they recognize our school board’s hard work from the past few years.
And, this Sunday is my birthday.
What's the best birthday gift you can give a candidate? Your time, energy and enthusiasm!
Join me this Sunday to walk door to door to spread the word and ask voters to support my re-election to Mt Diablo School Board.
Sign up at https://www.cherisekhaund.com/birthdaywalk2022
Break a Sweat Run for Education This Saturday
Plus it’s not too late to support the Mt Diablo Education Foundation by running, walking or volunteering in the Break a Sweat Run for Education this Saturday Oct 1st right here at Heather Farms.
Join the Foundation team or your school team at breakasweat.run
Do your friends/neighbors have questions about me? Please share:
- This About Me page from my campaign website
- The East Bay Times Endorsement
- This short video, where I discuss my first term accomplishments and goals for the next term.
Thank you to everyone who has walked with and for this campaign so far. Here are some fun photos!
What fun it's been to get out and about, meeting people in person!
You never know who you’ll meet where. I ran into Tilly while walking my dog, and found out she is the custodian at Walnut Acres Elementary. Thank you, Tilly, for all you do for our students!
Jenny Kim is a Walnut Acres parent I have admired for years, ever since she organized the first International Fair there. And now she is Principal of the local Walnut Creek Korean school, so be sure to check them out to learn Korean for free!
Wonderful to meet Bill Hansen, first principal of Northgate High, along the route of Northgate Band March-a-thon where I was a parent volunteer bike chaperone.
And at Monument Impact’s gala I got to meet these two YVHS students who were recognized for their excellent commitment to serving community
Then there were political events. Thanks to Amanda Regenstein for being my spokesperson at the Gun Sense Candidate event.
Sign up at https://www.cherisekhaund.com/volunteer_khaund
Now that an opponent entered the race, thanks to all of you we have hit the ground running with our campaign for my re-election to school board!
Here’s the latest progress and many ways for you to join in:
- Yard signs - we now have over 100 posted by neighbors throughout Walnut Creek, Clayton and Concord. Order yours here.
- Endorsements - More than 20 elected officials have endorsed my campaign including Congressman DeSaulnier, Assemblymember Bauer Kahan, District Attorney Becton, and mayors/councilmembers from every city in my district area. Plus, more than 50 teachers, parents and community members have added their names as well. See the full list and please add your name here.
- House parties: Save the date for Sunday Sept 18th for a house party in Walnut Creek! And let me know if you’d like to host in your area as well.
- Canvassing: We’ll begin to walk neighborhoods in September, so dust off your shoes and join me for great exercise and community outreach. Click here to join our walking team.
- Student Fellowship: Do you know a student who’s interested in politics? Share this link with them to learn new skills, get volunteer hours, and a letter of recommendation (apply by Sept 2nd): tinyurl.com/reelectcherise
- Thursday Sept 8th - Get your free ticket here for this event featuring Diablo Valley area women candidates (including me) who all are dedicated to creating a future free from gun violence. Learn about the Moms Demand Action Gun Sense program at gunsensevoter.org
Saturday Sept 10th - the Democratic Party of Contra Costa County is holding its annual BBQ. Get your tickets here (early bird is until Aug 31) or let me know if you want to volunteer at my campaign table!
Sunday Sept 18th - Save the date for a campaign house party in Walnut Creek
Saturday Oct 1st - Join me in supporting the Mt Diablo Education Foundation by running, walking or volunteering in the Break a Sweat Run for Education: breakasweat.run
Tuesday Oct 4th, 7pm MDUSD Community Advisory Committee CAC candidate forum
Thursday Oct 6th, Join me as I’m co-hosting the EmergeCA 20th anniversary celebration:
Tickets and Sponsorship (under additional information, add “Cherise” under this prompt "Would you like to make this Ticket or Sponsorship contribution in honor of a host committee member, program member, board member, or alum?")
Can't attend but want to support (under the amounts, check the box "contribute in honor of someone" and write “Cherise Khaund”)
We look forward to seeing you soon, at an event or neighborhood walk!
Cherise and her campaign team
pictured here: Campaign Director Aasim Yahya, Communications Director Michelle Alas, and Data Guru Sam Benabou
- Campaign manager Aasim Yahya who spoke so eloquently last night,
- my mom & fab assistant Mary Kay Melton, who brought wonderful friends from Viamonte at Walnut Creek,
- treasurer Erin Roeder,
- graphic designer Julie Contreras, Urban Bird Design,
- event organizers Ernie DeTrinidad, Meg Honey, Natalie Karas Ivankovich, Janine Payne Schneir
- teacher Mari Arenson for helping with set up
And to my fellow electeds who came, whose collaboration makes such a difference in our ability to serve students & families:
- Clayton Mayor Peter Cloven
- Clayton Vice Mayor Holly Tillman
- Contra Costa District Attorney Diana Becton
- Walnut Creek Councilmember Kevin Wilk
- Contra Costa Community College Board member Rebecca Barrett
- former MDUSD board member Joan Pierce
Whether we end up with an opponent in this race or not, I know that this group will continue to work together to make a difference in improving the quality of our public education for EVERY Mt. Diablo student.
For those who couldn’t make it in person but reached out with endorsements & donations, thank you and I hope to see you soon.
I hope you all are having a wonderful first few days of school!!