We’ve recently heard from many teachers, parents, and community members who passionately believe that our Mt Diablo schools should be offering more - more music, art and science, as well as providing more counselors, nurses, librarians, smaller class sizes and higher salaries. Our school board agrees, but the vast majority of CA public school funding comes from the state, which we do not directly control. Therefore we've had to make tough decisions to carefully balance student offerings and salary raises within the confines of finite resources and declining enrollment.
The good news is that we can all work together to fully fund our public schools here in Mt Diablo and across California!
Here are 4 concrete ways you can join in:
- Share your story: Personal narratives are key to any successful movement. For 40 years, California has systematically disinvested from our public schools. Whether you’re a parent, teacher, staff, student or community member, your story needs to be heard. Go to evolve-ca.org to share your story and join their movement to fully fund California’s public schools.
- Raise the Base: The biggest push right now that groups are coalescing around is asking the state legislature to “Raise the Base” per student state funding to public schools. The San Ramon regional PTA is holding an event on this topic on April 22: https://www.srvcouncilpta.org/ad22-2 They also have this helpful info page.
Educate yourself: Ed100.org provides free short lessons on how California’s education system works, with key information about how parents and students can get involved at the school, district, or state level. Create a free login and earn tickets towards monthly drawings where you could win up to $1000 for your school.
- They also run California’s largest annual conference for student leaders, which this year will be held June 20-22, 2022. Every high school should be represented by at least one freshman, at least one sophomore, and at least one junior. You don’t have to be an official student leader to join. Is your school represented? As of today it looks like only College Park High is. Keep track here. Students can register directly, and educators & parent leaders are encouraged to sign up as an ally to nominate students & spread the word. Sign up at https://ed100.org/blog/student-leader-academy
Local fundraising: A group of parent, teacher and business volunteers created the nonprofit MDUSD Education Foundation in 2016, to raise money for Mt Diablo School District STEAM and career/college programs. They aim to ensure that no matter what zip code you live in, you’ll receive a quality education here in our public schools.
- Check out mdedf.org to donate or to volunteer on a committee or board.
- Are you a realtor or business owner? Join their Honor Roll Business or Professional programs to showcase your commitment to our local schools.
Interested? Let's meet in person to discuss!
Now that places are open again, I'd love to connect with you. Let's start with anyone who would like to join me at a locally run coffee shop, so that we can support local small business at the same time. Come to "Coffee with Cherise" at 9am on
- Friday April 29th at Contra Costa Coffee in Walnut Creek.
Can't make it? Let me know other ways to connect - I'm happy to visit PTA/PFC meetings, neighborhood groups, etc.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in with