#BREAKINGNEWS - I’m excited to announce that this week I pulled papers to run for re-election to our Mt Diablo Unified School District Board!
This time the election is by Trustee Area, and I’m here in Trustee Area 4 —which includes the cities of Walnut Creek, Clayton, and part of Concord.
I’m proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish so far in my first term:
- Increased student voice through creation of the official student school board position and championing student leadership opportunities
- Opened schools safely during a global pandemic, following county health guidance
- Upgraded technology with 1:1 chromebooks for every student grades 2-12
- Adopted needed Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) curriculum
- Improved district finances from qualified to a positive certified budget, and refinanced bonds to save taxpayers millions
- Secured raises for all teachers & staff, via contracts with every employee group
- Improved communication in all languages, email & text via ParentSquare, Superintendent Friday letter, and weekly Organization Updates
- Passed board policy to enable students to take a sick day for mental health
- Authored the district’s first PRIDE Board Resolution, flying the rainbow flag to raise awareness and inclusivity. Championed the first ever districtwide PRIDE prom.
And yet there is still much to do.
I look forward to the progress we can make together in the next four years, especially to:
- Prepare every student for success in a global economy
- Listen to parents, teachers & staff from every community
- Invest every dollar wisely & clearly for student success
- Adopt updated curriculum in areas such as history & math
- Ensure safety in and around our schools
Join us! Please click to Join on my website https://www.cherisekhaund.com/join
(p.s. If you previously joined my email list with a school district email address for my board member updates, you will need to re-join now with a private email address in order to receive any campaign messages. Any district email addresses will be removed.)